I adapted this recipe from a few different soup recipes that I found online. It is realy easy to make. I reccomend eating it with a small white roll.
You Will Need
1/8th cup of Olive Oil
3 carrots peeled and chopped
1/2 onion diced (I use a purple one)
1 clove of garlic diced
Kosher salt to taste
Pepper (not too much) to taste
1/4 cup barley
1 quart broth ( I like to use the Imagine mock chicken soup because it is parev.)
1. Prepare the vegetables and heat the oil in your soup pot.
2. Add the carrots, onions, garlic and some salt and mix until the onions are caramelized (between 5 - 10 minutes)
3. Add broth and 1 quart of water and bring to a boil.
4. Add more salt and some pepper and then mix in the barley.
5. Bring to a boil again and the let it simmer for an hour.
6. This soup freezes well so I like to divide it into 1 cup portions and bring them to work with me for lunch. The frozen soup keeps the rest of my lunch fresh and I pop it in the microwave for 1 - 2 minutes before I eat it.